QuickBooks Error C 342 – In the below post we are going to discuss all the possible causes and troubleshooting steps to fix QuickBooks Error C 342. QuickBooks is the software used for managing company data in an organized way to maintain error-free work. QuickBooks is mostly used by small and medium-size companies to manage their data.
While using QuickBooks some of the users face some errors which hinderances their work. Quickinfy is the best Tech support provider company and our main goal is to provide resolution to errors which are faced by QuickBooks users. so here we are going to discuss one of the common error faced by users that is QuickBooks Error C 342.
Table of Contents
What is QuickBooks Error C 342?
According to Intuit, QuickBooks Error C 342 can occur when attempting to open a damaged company file (.qbw) in QuickBooks 2004 or 2005.
To attempt to resolve this error, you’ll need to run the Rebuild Data utility in QuickBooks. Fortunately, in QuickBooks 2004 and 2005, this utility can be run without the company file first being open.
The following error message is displayed on the screen:
Unexpected Error: An error has occurred in QuickBooks. Please restart QuickBooks and try again. If you continue to experience this error, please note the C= value and contact technical support. C=342.
Unexpected Error: An error has occurred in QuickBooks. C=342. QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Why is this happening?
These errors can occur if:
- The QBW32.EXE file or QuickBooks desktop shortcut is set to Microsoft Windows compatibility mode.
- The company data file is damaged.
How to fix QuickBooks Error C 342?
To resolve this error, first, you have to follow steps for data damage by trying to open a QuickBooks sample company file. If the error still persists, disable Windows compatibility mode.
- You have to open a QuickBooks sample company file:
- On your keyboard, while you open QuickBooks, press and hold the Ctrl key.
- When the No Company Open window appears, Release the Ctrl key.
- Proceed to step 2, If the error occurs before the No Company Open window appears.
- In the No Company Open window, Click Open a sample file and select any one of the sample files in the list.
- your company file may be damaged, If the sample company file opens without displaying the error.
- Refer to “Verifying and rebuilding QuickBooks company data” or restore your company file from a backup.
- proceed with steps 2, If the error occurs when opening the sample company file and 3 to disable Windows compatibility mode.
- Disable the Windows compatibility mode setting for the QuickBooks desktop shortcut icon:
- On your Windows desktop, Right-click the QuickBooks shortcut icon and click on Properties.
- You have to click on the Compatibility tab.
- Clear the checkbox Run this program in compatibility mode for and click on OK. Click Cancel and proceed to step 3, If that checkbox is not selected.
- Disable the Windows compatibility mode setting for the QBW32.EXE file:
- On your Windows desktop, Right-click the QuickBooks icon and choose properties.
- Click the Shortcut tab and to open the QuickBooks installation folder, click Find Target.
- Right-click QBW32.EXE and click on Properties.
- You have to Click the Compatibility tab.
- Clear the checkbox Run this program in compatibility mode for and click OK.
- Click Cancel, If that checkbox is not selected.
- You have to Close the Windows Explorer window and the QuickBooks desktop shortcut properties window.
- You have to Open QuickBooks and your company file.
- You have to Right-click the QuickBooks program icon on your Microsoft Windows Desktop, and then
- choose Properties. (Or, click the Microsoft Windows Start button, choose Programs, then right-click the QuickBooks shortcut, and then click on Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab.
- In compatibility mode option, Clear the checkmark from the Run.
- Click on OK.
- You should now be able to run QuickBooks without receiving the error message.
We hope that by following the above steps you can fix the QuickBooks Error C 342. But if you are still facing the same issue. You can contact Quickinfy who provides the Best Tech Support services. You can contact us by calling on our toll-free number or by online chat or by email. We are a team of proadvisors and always ready to help you to resolve the error.