QuickBooks Desktop is very popular for small and medium size businesses as it manages their data easily and in an organized manner. In this post, we are going to discuss different file extensions used in QuickBooks desktop.
Different file extensions are used for different versions of QuickBooks Desktop. For example, different file extensions are used in QuickBooks 2016 and QuickBooks enterprise 2017.
File Extensions used in QuickBooks Desktop
File extensions are used for saving data and each file extensions used in QuickBooks Desktop has its own importance. There are unique file extensions for different files. Different editions of QuickBooks desktop use different file extensions.
Different types of data are saved in different folders. Most of the file extensions are of three characters but number of characters sometimes varies. In this post, we are going to discuss different file extensions for windows and Mac desktop.
Importance of File Extensions used in QuickBooks Desktop
- The file extension allows QuickBooks Desktop users to quickly identify the nature of a file’s contents.
- File extension provides a simple method of keeping all files of the same type together, making searches easy.
- File extensions are good in terms of security purposes and provide the user with a means of verifying the authentication of their data files.
- File extension helps to identify the type of file. The desktop uses this information to open the file with the correct software application.
- File extensions helps to identify kind of file a certain document is by just looking at the filename.
List of File Extensions used in QuickBooks Desktop
Different file extensions are used for window desktop and Mac desktop. So let’s check out the list of List of File Extensions used in QuickBooks Desktop
File Extensions used in QuickBooks Desktop for windows
1. Accountant files
- *.QBA – QuickBooks Accountant copy working file
This extension File is used for accountant’s review
- *.AIF – Accountant’s copy Import File
When Accountant’s copy is exported this file is used. Purpose is for importing into user’s company file
- *.QBY – Accountant’s copy import file
When making changes in an Accountant’s Copy has finished, they will provides you with a .QBY file to be imported into your company file.
- *.QBA.TLG – Transaction log file for the Accountant’s copy
In case if there is any chance of accidental loss of data, Intuit Support team can use your most recent backup in conjunction with the transaction log file to recover your data. This extension starts a log of transactions that you’ve entered since the last time you backed up.
- *.QBX – Accountant’s review copy
With this file extension backup is made for Accountant’s copy of user’s company file.
- *.QBJ – General Journal Entries
This file can be used to easily incorporate general journal entries made by your accountant into company file.
2. QuickBooks working files
- *.QBB – QuickBooks Backup file format
QBB file extensions are used for backups of QBW files. QBB files store templates, logos, letters, company’s financial records and images.
- *.QBW – QuickBooks Company file
QBW files are used to store financial data, letters, logos, templates, and images for a company.
- *.QBO – Online Bank Statement File
This file extension downloads electronic bank statement from a financial institution’s website.
- *.QBM – QuickBooks Portable file
These extensions are compressed version of the QuickBooks company file and are mainly used for sharing.
- *.LGB – Little Green Box
SDK log files contain encrypted data about user names and passwords. It is used when an application needs to communicate and connect with QuickBooks.The user name and password stored in this file extension is used to connect to the Sybase server.
- *.QBI – QuickBooks Image file
*.QBI file extension in Qb “holds” the transactions that have been written until posted to the hard drive
- *.WPR.INI – Windows Print file
This file is used to store QuickBooks printer settings
- *.QBP – QuickBooks Print file
This file is used to stores form settings used by QuickBooks to print the form.
- *.QBR – QuickBooks Report template –
QuickBooks saves the file with a .QBR extension when you export the template for a memorized report.
- *.DES – Layout designer template export file
QuickBooks provides a large number of templates that you can use for your forms
- *.QWC – QuickBooks Web Connector
This file extension contains encrypted data about third party applications integrated with QuickBooks
- *.INI – Initialization File
This is used config log files for QuickBooks.
3. Fixed Assets Manager
This file extension Stores CSV import data headers.
This keeps the FAM backup sync log file
Used to Store report data
It Stores system data
This is QuickBooks Header file
Used to compressed FAM data file and stores asset data
4. Utility and Log Files
- *.ECML – Entitlement file
It Stores registration data and installation license
- *.AVI – Audio Video Interleave
A multimedia format mainly contains both audio and video data files. This is used to “Show Me” files in QuickBooks.
- *.ND – Network Data File
It is a configuration file and allows access to the company file in QB
- *.SyncManagerLogger.log – Sync Manager log
Used to Logs for Sync errors and activities.
- *.IIF – Intuit Interchange Format
This file extension is used for importing lists and/or transactions.
Used for auto-patch in QB Desktop
- *.QWC.log – QB Web Connector log
Used to Log for Web Connector errors and process.
Used mainly for Log of errors in QuickBooks and other services such as web connectors.
- *.TLG – Transaction log file
This keeps track of changes to the file since the last backup was made
- *.QBBackup.tmp – QB Back temp folders
These are extensions used for File created during failed backup with date and time stamp. It Cannot be used to restore data.
- *.Qbwin.log – QB Windows log
This File is created/updated when a user runs verify and/or rebuild.
5. Utility and Log Files
- *.QST – QSW Template file
- *.QSM – QSW Statement file
- *.QSS – QSW Appearance file
6. Payroll Files USA
Used to integrated Payroll tax table file
These File extensions are used to create forms 940 and 941
2. exe, , Perrval.dll, Product.fam, Perwin95.ini
These files are used for printing 940 and 941 forms.
3. *.TXT & *.SET
These extensions Used in QuickPay version 2.0/2.1
File Extensions used in QuickBooks Desktop for MAC
These are Preference files extension that store registration and any preferences set and registration within QuickBooks
This file is used for back up of Mac disk backup file
This is used by QuickBooks for Mac 2013 and later disk to create backups
Mac company data file for QuickBooks 2014
Mac company data file for QuickBooks 2015
Mac company data file for QuickBooks 2014
The above-discussed list of File Extensions used in QuickBooks Desktop would be helpful to all our users. File extensions make you’re easy to save. Quickinfy has provided all the file extension in windows and MAC. If you have a query related to these file extensions or any issue in QuickBooks Desktop, simply contact the QuickBooks Tech Support team.