QuickBooks as we all know QuickBooks is one of the most popular tools used by small and medium-sized businesses to manage their crucial data. With the use of QuickBooks, you can get rid of paperwork and get an error-free result. This software is used by a large number of small and large companies. In this post let us discuss the how to convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac.
Sometimes, you need to convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac. This process is known as round-tripping. Round-tripping is a process of by which you can send a QuickBooks for Mac file to an accountant with QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
Since each program uses, a different type of database there is not an Accountant’s Copy feature available in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. In this case, round tripping is sometimes important in order for an accountant to make changes to a Mac client’s company file. Below check out the important points how to convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac.
Important Points – Convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac
There are several points to note down before we proceed further to know how to Convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac. check out the steps to Convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac
- QBES cannot produce a QuickBooks Desktop for Mac backup because round trip cannot be used in QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions (QBES). one of the best point to remember for Convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac
- If the accountant has your file, need not to enter data into Macintosh file. If you did that then you will have to reenter the data when you receive your file back.
- Users may change the password when converting a .qbb file that is created using QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. If the user or accountant changes the password to meet the requirements of QuickBooks Desktop for Windows password, they should use the new password created by the accountant to convert the file back to QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
- Be sure that your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac and your accountant’s QuickBooks Desktop for Windows are of the same year or the latest release for that year. For example, if you have QuickBooks for Mac 2015, be sure your accountant is using QuickBooks for Windows 2015. If you are using of different years, you may have some issues updating your file to later versions or round-tripping in the future.
- You will need an administrator password to complete roundtrip process. This is important point to note in Convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac
- As we know QuickBooks for Mac does not have internal payroll, so we suggest you not to process payroll in the QuickBooks for Windows version of the file.
- The subscription data, payroll data and payroll settings that you enter will be lost when the file is converted back to QuickBooks for Mac.
Starting in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
Before starting in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac you need to note down the few steps:
- The accountant uses Copy Company File for QuickBooks Desktop for Mac and made changes as per requirements, which is then transferred back to the client.
- The client can restore the back up of data into QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
- The client can save a Back Up of data to QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
- Using a secure transfer method, Backup file is transferred to the accountant
Convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac
Check out the whole procedure of how to convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac. We have given step by step guidance that will help you achieve your requirements.
Prepare Macintosh file
Due to the differences in operating system and the conversion process, your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac file requires some file preparation before exporting the file
- The first point to note is that you need to update the version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to the latest.
- Check for if there are any special characters in the file name and Company Name, such as !@#$%^&*. If so, rename the file and remove all the special characters. Steps for this process are open Company Name > QuickBooks menu > Preferences > My Company.
- Open the file in QuickBooks and you need to delete all memorized reports and memorized transactions. Next point is to Resort your lists.
- First, rebuild and then you need to verify your company file.
- You need to run Custom Transaction Detail Report, changing the date range to All and enabling the Memo Column:
- Click on the Reports
- Choose Custom Transaction Detail Report.
- Click on the Dates drop-down arrow and select All In the Modify Report window,
- Under Columns,>Memo column. A checkmark will appear when the column is selected.
- Click on OK to run the report.
6. Check for any memos with names that contain special characters such as !@#$%^&*or are longer than 50 characters. If any are found, edit the transactions and remove all the memos. Then you need to rebuild the file again.
Convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows
Check out the steps to convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows. You have to follow the below steps and they will surely help you.
- The first step is to open the company file in QB desktop for Mac.
- If you have not rebuild your file while creating it, you need to rebuild your data file now.
- Select the File and then click on Export and select To QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
- Choose a location and name for the file and click Save
- Click on Show File in Finder to locate the file on your computer, after the backup for Windows is created,
- QB also creates a PDF file in the same location with the same name as your company file.
- This backup for Windows, you can open in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
- After the backup of file is complete, you need to rename the company file so that when the updated copy is returned, you do not overwrite it
- Send the backup to the Windows machine using whatever method you choose
- Once the backup file for Windows is on the Windows desktop, open the QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
- Select the File and click on Restore or open Company.
- Click on Restore a backup copy (.qbb) and then click on Next.
- Choose Local backup and then click Next.
- Browse to the location of the backup of company file for Windows and click Open.
- If you get the notification to update the file to the new version, type yes and then click on OK.
Convert a QuickBooks file from Windows to Mac
Check out the steps to convert a QuickBooks file from windows to Mac. Let us proceed with the procedure:
- The first step is to note down that you need to update your version of QuickBooks Desktop for Windows to the latest release.
- Open your company files in QB Desktop for Windows.
- You need to Resort your lists, rebuild and then verify the company data file
- Click on File, select Utility option and click on Copy Company File for QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
- Save the file wherever you want to save it.
- Next step is to send the copy of file for Mac to the Mac computer using whatever method suits you
- Open QuickBooks Desktop for Mac, once the file copy is on Mac desktop
- Click on the No Company Open window and then Browse and locate the file that you want to restore.
- You will get the dialog box displaying QuickBooks will ask if you want to restore a QuickBooks Desktop for Windows file, click OK.
- Type a name for the restored file, and then click Save.
Conversion Errors in Converting a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac
Errors in windows:
Error occurs when you are not able to open the file in windows. You will get two errors which are given below:
- Error (-14113, 0)
- Error C=116
- Open your company file in QuickBooks for Mac
- Follow the procedure to resort your lists
- run the Rebuild Data Utility procedure
- Try to convert again.
Errors in Mac:
Error occurs when you are not able to open the file in Macintosh after updating QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
the following message will be displayed on the screen “Cannot Import the Roundtrip file. This file was originally created with another version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. Please import it into the version with which it was created.”
- Download and reinstall your previous version and release of QuickBooks
- Restore the backup of company file from Windows.
- You have to convert your restored file to your latest version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
Hope the information will help you to convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac. We have given all the details about conversion. If you face any issue in conversion you need to directly call on the helpline number of QuickBooks Desktop support for quick guidance.